My first batch were too small and over pasteled. So I finally had a moment to try again. I mixed an white, yellow, tan polymer clay with translucent then shaped and poked and scratched them until they had that beat up potato shape. Then I used my razor and scraped yellow, orange and brown charcoals onto wax paper and mixed with a small brush. I rolled the potatoes in the pastel dust and brushed some onto any bare spots then baked. I sewed up the mini-ist burlap fabric I could find into a bag and there they are!
The wood crate was made by printing out wood texture and gluing that paper onto a mat board template that I had made. Then I scored the area between the “boards” with a burnishing tool and glued together.