Sunday, May 20, 2018

Vintage Gottschalk Dollhouse update

Previous post
http://naturessoulminiatures.blogspot.com/2018/05/vintage-dollhouse.html


I made some progress on restoring my 1920-30s Gottschalk. The left is how I received it.

After sealing what I discovered was lead paint with shellac I gave it a wash of new paint to freshen it ups a bit. Then I distressed the paint and rubbed on some brown pastel here and there so it didn't look too new.
I also had to repair the roof framing on the top left. The entire frame was unattached from the house!
I did a lot of research online to try and guess what the colors it may have originally been. I have not seen his house as of yet so my guess is it is pretty rare. I added the window framing and found some vintage flowers that were used back then to fill the holes in the "planter boxes".


I mixed my own acrylic paint and added a wash over the more damaged areas of the roof and then sprayed it with polyurethane clear satin. The age still shows through.

I wanted to lighten up the doors so I painted them and trimmed them out with white. After sanding the doors a bit I could see where the original white framing was.

I took the curtains out because they were disintegrating and not salvageable. They were glued onto the white panes with so much glue I had to take out the panes as well to scrape them off using my knife. Come to find out the panes are made from cardboard not plastic as I had thought. I gave them a wash of white paint and will reinstall after I resolve the wallpaper inside.



I couldn't help myself and started ripping up the disgusting blue carpet inside. I was very excited to see the original floor was there but sad that they were not salvageable.
The good new is I can now replicate it on my computer and print out a new floor.


Then I went upstairs to see what was under the carpet. Thankfully whoever installed it left the paper backing on the carpet when installing it so I was able to use warm water with palmolive and scrap it up. I had to use my fingernail under the rubber glove anything else took the floor print up.




So HAPPY about this! I will be able to have the original floor here. Only a few nicks.

The wallpaper will be next. I have already seen clues to what the original was.
Tiny piece of red paper under there!

This process has been very rewarding and I look forward to bringing this beauty closer to what a true Gottschalk would have been. There may be a few things I will alter to make this my own, but I still want to respect the time period. I do hope one day I will find another like this model out there.
Until next time, thanks for stopping by. :)

Next post
http://naturessoulminiatures.blogspot.com/2018/05/gottschalk-dollhouse-floor-resortation.html

7 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful house this is turning out the be. The upstairs floor is just amazing. I am really enjoying following your gentle rejuvenation of this lovely little house.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of progress. I love that original floor and good luck with the wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your restoration work on this little house is Fabulous and I am glad to see, that due to your patient efforts, you were able to save the patterned floor! :D The old rose vintage wallpaper is sentimental but I am eagerly anticipating the replacement print you'll choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. Oh I hope I can choose the right patterns. I have the upstairs one in mind but need to keep searching for the others. So many to choose from!

      Delete
  4. Well done with your progress so far. If it was mine, I would also not be able to resist the temptation to take it back to something like its original look.

    ReplyDelete