Labels

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Dollhouse half inch scale 1:24 kitchen stove/range

I purchased my first half-inch scale house kit a while ago and divided it up into three apartments, each with a different style. My first task was to make a baker’s kitchen starting with this little range.


Mat board
X-ACTO knife
Ruler
Wood Glue
Black acrylic paint
Mod Podge
Ceramcoat - Oyster White
Paint brushes
Wood cutters
Toothpick
High gloss varnish
Tweezers
Black polymer clay
Graphic chart tape
Thin acetate film


Cut the below from mat board.
Front - 2 3/8” x 1 3/8”
2 sides - 1” x 1 3/8”
Back - 2 3/8” x 1 3/4” (This will make your back a little taller than mine. I mis-calculated and my back was shorter than I wanted.)
Base - 2 3/8” x 1 1/16”

Cut a hole in the front if you want the oven to have an inside. Leave a 1/8” border on the bottom and left. The width is approximately 1 1/8” wide x 7/8” tall.

Glue the front, sides, base, and back together.

Cut 1/8” thick strips of poster board and frame out the base leaving a 1/8” space in the front.


Glue a divider inside.

Paint outside and inside the oven with black.

Cut the left side door (1 5/16” x 1 1/16”) and drawer (1 5/16” x 5/16”).

Cut a hole out of the oven door with a 1/4” border.

Cut the right side door (15/16” x 5/16”) and drawer (15/16”x 1 1/16”).

Cut a hole out of the right side oven door with a 1/4” border.

Sand the drawer and door edges. Paint with Mod Podge and then 2 coats of Oyster White Ceramcoat. Let dry. Sand lightly.




You can see in the photo that I added a strip of coverstock on my back piece. You don’t need to do this.

Cut a toothpick and insert it inside for the shelf racks using tweezers and wood glue. Let dry and paint black.

To get a glossy look on the doors and drawers, dip a paintbrush into a high gloss varnish and let it drip heavily onto the fronts. Do a little at a time until they are covered. Let dry.

I made a rack from strips of card stock and glue. Then I colored it with a silver gel pen and glued it in.

Lay a piece of mat board on the top and trace where it hangs over. Then cut it out and glue it on. Once dry, sand the edges.


I used some scrap book metal pieces for the hot plates. I trimmed down the corner pieces to be close to a square shape and glued them on. Paint them black.

Glue a pieces of acetate behind the oven doors. Then glue the doors and drawers on.




Cut a strip of cover stock and glue it on where the knobs will go. Carefully paint it black.

Roll a piece of black polymer clay to the knob width. Put in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Take it out and gently roll while cutting off piece with your knife. Bake using the manufacture’s instructions and glue on the knobs to the front. I dotted each of mine with a silver gel pen.



Spray paint a piece of wire silver. Let dry then cut four pieces to 3/8” long.

I love this graphic chart tape. It comes in different sizes. This is 1/16” wide. I wrapped it around the ends of the wires. I first used this tape when I was interning at an engineer firm. I had to map out plans and roads with it on giant charts. It was the same company that built the harbor tunnel in Baltimore. Good times!


Then I put a dab of white glue on the back of each end and glued them onto the drawers and doors with tweezers.


There you have it. A half-inch scale range!

11 comments:

  1. Genial, te ha quedado perfecta, felicidades:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's So Adorable and looks like it was a fun project! :D
    I've never tried 1/2 scale before, but after seeing your neat little cooker; I'm definitely feeling tempted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a 1/2" house kit but just didn't have as much motivation with that scale. Still trying to sell the house. But glad I gave it a shot!

      Delete
  3. me gusta mucho cómo te ha quedado,buen trabajo! Gracias por el tutorial.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful. I would have thought this was something from Ruetter Porcelain if you hadn't shown step by step how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This wee stove would take skill and patience in 1/12th scale. In half scale, I cannot imagine the patience level you achieved! Great work and amazing results!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Un buen trabajo y un estupendo tutorial.

    ReplyDelete